Postdoctoral Fellow – Stanley Hazen Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7103612 (Ref #: ccf16064126)
- Posting Date: Jun 17, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Positions are available immediately at the level of either Postdoctoral Research Fellow and/or Junior Faculty for investigators with a strong interest in studies exploring new pathways involved in cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Major research programs in the laboratory focus on the interface between gut microbiome and cardiometabolic diseases; and therapeutic drug development efforts of these pathways. We are especially seeking persons with small animal model experience, especially in cardiac and/or renal diseases, as well as broad molecular, cellular and biochemical skill sets.
The Hazen laboratory uses multidisciplinary approaches to study mechanisms through which gut microbiota contribute to cardiometabolic diseases and related inflammatory disorders. The laboratory is housed within the Lerner Research Institute, on the Cleveland Clinic campus. Research programs span from “bench-to-bedside”, including mechanistic studies involving genetically engineered microbes, recombinant microbial enzymes, host receptor-microbial-derived metabolite biological responses, animal models of disease, large scale human clinical studies, and both animal model and human interventional investigations.
The research program is well funded and highly productive, with frequent publications in both clinical and basic top tier research journals alike. Our research team has broad expertise and background, and includes both analytical and synthetic chemists, numerous basic scientists (biochemistry, genetics, cellular and molecular biology, physiology) and both translational and clinical researchers. Candidates need to be self-motivated individuals with excellent work ethic, organizational and communication skills. Background in microbiology, gut microbiota related / relevant research, animal models is a plus.
Principal Investigator: Stanley Hazen, MD, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Cardiovascular & Metabolic Sciences
Lab Research Topics:
- Cardiometabolic and renal diseases
- Gut microbiome
- Inflammatory disorders
- Animal models of disease
- Therapeutic drug development
- For more information about the lab’s research, please visit: https://www.lerner.ccf.org/cms/hazen/ or contact [email protected]; [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Perform experiments involving small animal models of cardiac and/or renal diseases
- Collaborate with other lab members on additional research projects
- Participate in regular lab meetings and departmental presentations
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Experience with small animal models of disease
- Broad molecular, cellular, and biochemical skill sets
- Background in microbiology and gut-microbiota related research preferred
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Taylor Weeks at [email protected].
- Names/contact info for 3 references
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Gut microbiome, Animal models, Mechanistic research, Drug development research, Microbiology, Translational research, Cardiovascular diseases, Renal diseases, Biochemical research
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.