Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow (High resolution cloud microphysics modelling)
- Southern Cross University
- Location: Coffs Harbour, Australia
- Job Number: 7104054
- Posting Date: Jun 26, 2022
- Application Deadline: Jul 27, 2022
Job Description- Join a university that’s transforming tomorrow, today
- Access world-class infrastructure
- Contribute to the Reef Restoration and Adaption Program (RAAP)
Southern Cross University is a young, dynamic and rising institution of excellence committed to transforming tomorrow. Our game changing new education model brings a deeper learning experience, improving individual student outcomes and quality of life.
Working at Southern Cross University combines a rare combination of being surrounded by ambitious students, amazing and dedicated colleagues and an environment of stunning natural beauty. We are leaders in our communities in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Coffs Harbour and the Gold Coast and pride ourselves on helping shape a better tomorrow.
About the opportunity
Southern Cross University’s National Marine Science Centre is looking for a mid-career Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow to work with senior scientists across multiple research organisations and conduct high resolution cloud microphysical modelling as part of the Cooling and Shading sub-program of the Reef Restoration and Adaptation Program (RRAP).
The program is focused on helping the Great Barrier Reef resist, adapt and recover from the impacts of climate change. You will play a key role in implementing research methods that support decisions about interventions and identify opportunities of reef restoration.
Your core responsibilities will include:
Conduct research in aerosol, cloud, radiation interactions over the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) by use of numerical modelling tools.
Use LES to characterise the effect of aerosol perturbation on micro- and macro-physical properties of clouds over the GBR.
Conduct high resolution simulations of the dispersion, advection, and entrainment of sea salt aerosol into clouds formed over the GBR.
You will be a talented and passionate researcher with expertise in resolution cloud microphysics modelling to support the research being undertaken to restore the reef. You will possess excellence organisational and project management skills to work independently and collaboratively in a team to achieve project goals. More specifically, you will have:
- A PhD in atmospheric sciences or a related field and three years relevant experience.
- Experience coupling high resolution cloud microphysical modelling with WRF or comparable modelling frameworks.
- Experience in using high performance computing environments and familiarity with Linux operating systems.
- Track record in research output and obtaining funding.
- For appointment at Level C, you will have the desire to lead research and proven academic rigour, top quality outputs and demonstrated ability to secure research funding.
The University’s values are integrity and collegiality. Alignment with these values, along with the ability to actively contribute to the success of a team, are inherent requirements of the role.
Salary and benefits
Our staff benefit from flexible work arrangements, including hybrid work models, generous parental and carer’s leave provisions, wellbeing initiatives, employee assistant programs and professional learning opportunities. This position is:
- Full-time, fixed term (2 years)
- Located at Coffs Harbour. Generous relocation support available
- Academic Level B or C: Academic Level C –The base salary ranges from $123,900 - $142,531 per annum, plus 17% employer contribution to superannuation. The total remuneration package is up to $166,761 per annum is offered for a Senior Lecturer appointment.
- Academic Level B –The base salary ranges from $101,544 - $120,179 per annum plus 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation. The total remuneration package is up to $140,609.
To view the full position advertisement and details of the application process please visit https://www.scu.edu.au/about/jobsscu/vacancies/ where you will be redirected to the Southern Cross University website.
Applicants must apply online and provide responses to the selection criteria in the position description by the closing date. Information to support you prepare your application is available on our website. If you experience difficulties applying online or need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know by contacting [email protected]
This opportunity is open to Australian and international applicants. This opportunity is available to candidates within Australia and located overseas. If the successful candidate requires visa sponsorship, the University will work with the appointee to support visa and travel requirements.
Closing Date: 9:00am AEDT, Wednesday 27 July 2022
Southern Cross University is committed to diversity and social inclusion and aim to ensure equality in the recruitment of our staff. Applications are supported and encouraged from those that bring diversity to the University.
Together, we are Transforming Tomorrow.