Postdoctoral Scientist - Li Lab - Computational Biomedicine
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7106895 (Ref #: HRC0819647B)
- Posting Date: Jul 30, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, Ruowang Li, PhD, is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the Department of Computational Biomedicine!
The Department of Computational Biomedicine reflects Cedars-Sinai's commitment to advancing medical discovery and the recognition of the foundational role complex data plays in our research and clinical care. We are recruiting multiple postdoctoral research fellows in the newly established Department of Computational Biomedicine at the Cedars Sinai Medical Center (CSMC). We welcome applications from highly motivated candidates who enjoy innovative thinking. Including a cover letter and publication examples are preferred, but not required.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Postdoc will join the research group of Dr. Ruowang Li and is expected to collaborate with investigators within and beyond Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The Postdoc will work at the intersection of Biomedical Informatics, Human Genetics, and Machine Learning/Statistical Modeling. The main areas of research include, but are not limited to, methods development in constructing new polygenic risk scores (PRS) that can model higher-order complexities and improve transferability across different populations, in integrating data of large-scale population-level data, e.g., biobank-linked electronic health record data (EHR), in identifying causal effects through mendelian randomization analysis.
The group has extensive experience in working with biobank-linked EHR and PRS (Li. et al. Nature Reviews Genetics, 2021), data integration (Li. et al. Nature Communication, 2021; Ritchie. et al. Nature Reviews Genetics, 2015), and biomedical informatics (Li. et al. JAMIA 2019a, 2019b). The fellow will have access to a number of large-scale datasets, including up to five million of not-previously-analyzed patients’ records in the CSMC systems. This unique opportunity provides the Postdoc the ability to perform highly original and innovative research.
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with Dr. Li and other Research scientists, the Postdoctoral Scientist will perform routine and complex computational, mathematical, and statistical procedures throughout the training period. As a Postdoctoral Scientist, you may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques, and protocols, as well as analyze, interpret, summarize, and compile data.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May lead the development of new methodologies under the supervision of the mentor.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and compiles data.
- Develops, adapts, and implements new research techniques and protocols.
- May assist in the preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Minimum of a Doctoral degree in Biomedical Informatics, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Data Science, or a related quantitative field, required.
Experience and Skills:
- Previous experience in related research is preferred but not required.
- Independently works on research projects designed in collaboration with one or more mentors within an area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research projects and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Strong computing skills (R and Python) are desired.
- Excellent communication skills and a good track record of writing scientific papers.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Li Lab - Computational Biomedicine
- Department: Computational BioMedicine
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.