Postdoctoral Fellow – Nikhil Panicker Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7106913 (Ref #: ccf16364491)
- Posting Date: Jul 29, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The lab of Nikhil Panicker, PhD in the Dept. of Neurosciences at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute seeks a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher. Lab Website: https://www.lerner.ccf.org/neurosci/panicker/
The primary research focus of the lab is to investigate and elucidate inflammatory cell signaling pathways that contribute to neuropathology in degenerative brain disorders such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's Diseases.
The candidate will use state-of-the-art molecular, cellular and biochemical tools to investigate the functions and consequences of Nod-Like-Receptor-Protein-3 (NLRP3) Inflammasome assembly in neurodegenerative disorders.
Candidates from a broad range of backgrounds will be considered, but a background in cellular/molecular neuroscience, biomedical sciences, and/or immunology is preferred. The most important criteria for the position are the desire to explore/identify key signaling pathways in brain disorders and the willingness to collaborate and learn new techniques. Previous experience with neurodegenerative disease biology and especially mouse models of Parkinson's/Alzheimer's disease is not required, but would be a major asset. The candidate should have excellent organizational, record-keeping and communication skills.
Apart from working on existing projects in the lab, candidates will be expected to chart out new research avenues in collaboration with the PI. Mentorship of the candidate will be a priority.
To get a flavor of the kind of research we do, prospective candidates are encouraged to read our previous publications, including the following articles:
1. Panicker N, Kam TI, Wang H et al., Neuron 2022 PMID: 35654037
2. Panicker N, Sarkar S, Harischandra DS, et al., Journal of Experimental Medicine 2019, PMID: 31036561
3. Hinkle JT, Patel J, Panicker N et al., PNAS 2022, PMID: 35394877
4. Kam TI, Mao X, Park H et al., Science 2018, PMID: 30385548
5. Yun SP, Kam TI, Panicker N et al., Nature Medicine 2018, PMID: 29892066
Principal Investigator: Nikhil Panicker, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Neurosciences
Lab Research Topics:
- Parkinson's disease/ Synucleinopathies
- Parkin biology
- For more information about the lab’s research, please visit contact Nikhil Panicker at [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Lead independent research projects
- Maintain, catalog and document records
- Assist in manuscript preparation, grant conception
- Obtain and disseminate training in experimental techniques
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Experience with mouse models of Parkinson's disease
- Experience in molecular neuroscience and/or Immunology
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Nikhil Panicker at [email protected].
- Cover letter
- Names and contacts of three references
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, Cleveland Clinic, LRI, Inflammasomes, NLRP3, Neurodegeneration, Neuroinflammation, Microglia, Alpha-Synuclein, Dementia with Lewy bodies, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, Parkin biology, Ubiquitination, Cell death mechanisms, Protein aggregation, Stem cell models, Transgenic models
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.