Coastal System Modeler Postdoctoral Scholar
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7107716
- Posting Date: Aug 10, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionCoastal System Modeler Postdoctoral Scholar - 96496
Division: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Climate & Ecosystems Division (https://eesa.lbl.gov/our-divisions/climate-ecosystem-sciences/) has an opening for a Coastal System Modeler Postdoctoral Scholar to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will develop and utilize new approaches for investigating the groundwater and salinity evolution in coastal aquifers using field data to parameterize mechanistic models and machine learning techniques.
What You Will Do:
• Develop and apply hydrological and transport models to enhance process understanding of the coastal systems.
• Aggregate and integrate diverse data into numerical models to identify the underlying processes.
• Develop uncertainty quantification tools and upscaling algorithms.
• Perform data-model integration and analysis using high-performance computing;
• Identify and develop new research areas and proposals.
• Engage as a member of a large, multidisciplinary research team that includes geochemists, hydrologists, and computational scientists.
• Author peer-reviewed journal articles and technical reports.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
Experience in developing and applying high-performance computational software for flow and transport modeling.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in civil or environmental engineering, geochemistry, hydrology, or equivalent discipline.
• Substantial knowledge and experience in modeling microbially-mediated biogeochemical reaction networks coupled to flow and transport.
• Ability to advance and conceptualize creative new approaches to flow and transport modeling
• Knowledge of dealing with diverse data (e.g., DEM, climatic, electromagnetic, seismic, and water quality data)
• Experience with state-of-the-art process-based models (e.g., PFLOTRAN, TOUGH)
• Simulate climate-induced ecosystem responses through aggregating and integrating these diverse data into models.
• Substantial knowledge and experience in high-performance computing including parallel simulation and large dataset analysis and manipulation.
• Ability to identify and develop new research areas and proposals.
• Ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of scientists.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills and a proven track record of publishing in high-impact journals.
• International research exposure.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time 2 years, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=235788 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.