Postdoctoral Scientist - Translational Cancer Biology and Therapeutics
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7107984 (Ref #: HRC0992790)
- Posting Date: Aug 12, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Theodorescu Lab at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, along with collaborators, has made significant contributions in cancer biology and therapeutics. These contributions include discovery and development a “first in class” RalGTPase inhibitor as a new therapeutic in several human cancer types (Nature. 2014 20;515(7527):443-7). Using functional genomics/synthetic lethal screens (including CRISPR, shRNA and cDNA library use) and single cell and spatial transcriptomics on human cell lines and tumor tissues we have identified several candidate genes that confer resistance to commonly used chemotherapeutics and immunotherapy (i.e. checkpoint inhibitors, Science Advances. 2019 Feb 20;5(2), Nature Commun. 2021; 12;12(1)) in bladder cancer and other tumors. We are seeking a highly motivated research scientist / postdoctoral fellow / postdoc to further develop this work by defining the mechanism of action of how these genes alter resistance to chemotherapeutics, targeted small molecules and biological agents (antibodies, peptides etc…) directed at either the cancer cell or the tumor microenvironment / TME (e.g. immunotherapy, checkpoint inhibitors). The laboratory has ongoing discovery projects directed at key molecules driving cancer growth, metastasis, and tumor microenvironment (TME, stroma/fibroblast) which are being evaluated as candidates for therapeutic targeting and clinical translation to trials in patients.
This individual would join our exciting cancer research group. The successful candidate will be a driven, creative, team-oriented individual with a passion for helping to discover and move fundamental cancer biologic findings towards a clinical setting. The candidate will have a PhD or MD/PhD degree and background in functional genomics (including CRISPR, shRNA and cDNA library use) and next generation sequencing. A broad-based knowledge of cancer biology, immunology and signal transduction is an important characteristic of the successful applicant. We welcome applications who are completing their PhD as well as individuals seeking additional postdoctoral training. Strong preference will be given to individuals with an outstanding publication record from their prior graduate and/or postgraduate training and/or existing external funding.
For more information please visit: https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Research/Research-Labs/Theodorescu-Lab/
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs and performs experiments. Keeps detailed experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Develops, adapts, and implements new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period including work with mice as needed.
- Assists in preparation of grant proposals but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Meets with PI on a regular basis to discuss research progress and plans.
- May be asked to write fellowship grant proposals such as NRSA/T32 applications.
- Spends about 75% of time on bench research experimentation and 25% of time on writing articles/analyzing data/online research.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Doctorate (PhD or MD/PhD) in immunology or area directly related to field of research specialization.
- Ability to work semi-independently on research projects within an area of specialization.
- Thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and the objectives to be accomplished during the one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrates aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection and analysis.
Applicants are recommended to submit materials listed below to Dr. Dan Theodorescu at [email protected]
- Cover letter that includes the applicants’ career accomplishments and future goals
- Complete curriculum vitae that includes the names and email addresses of three academic references.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Translational Cancer Biology and Therapeutics
Department:Home Dept - Hem - Onc
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.