CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Medical Image Analysis
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Brisbane, Australia
- Job Number: 7108377 (Ref #: cj_86328)
- Posting Date: Aug 19, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in medical imaging or biomedical engineering?
- Translate automated quantitative MRI analysis into clinical practice through precision health technology
- An important opportunity to be part of the CSIRO Health & Biosecurity work on improving the health and well-being of all Australians
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The CERC Fellow will join a multidisciplinary team within the Australian E-Health Research Centre (AEHRC), part of the CSIRO Health and Biosecurity, and Queensland Hospital and Health services. The role will work as part of the AEHRC Neurodevelopment and Plasticity team within the Biomedical Informatics group.
The CERC Fellow will undertake research into assessing early brain development and detection of brain injuries in neonates at risk of adverse neurodevelopment using MR imaging and advanced structural and diffusion MRI analyses. The CERC Fellow will take a role in multiple existing projects in this area, which includes managing and growing existing inter-institutional collaborations with clinicians and external scientists, in addition to method development (programming) and machine learning overcoming the significant technical challenges in the area.
From a technical perspective, the CERC Fellow will be involved in devising techniques to improve image quality, developing automated quantitative markers of brain growth and injury, and performing cross-population analyses to detect subtle differences in brain development.
Your duties will include:
- Develop innovative concepts and ideas for assessing MR images that utilise structural and diffusion imaging, including contribution to research grants.
- Support the supervision of PhD students and vacation work students.
- Design and conduct the research study, including data collection and analysis of existing and new data.
- Communicate results in high quality journals, client reports, and supporting the drafting of patents to protect IP as needed.
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
Location: Herston, Brisbane, Queensland
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Medical Imaging or Biomedical Engineering. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Experience in programming with Python, C++ and/or Matlab.
- Experience in applying machine learning / artificial intelligence techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake processing of biomedical imaging data.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible onshore candidates)
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check, a valid Working with Children Check or the willingness and ability to gain one and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
20 September 2022, 11:00pm AEST
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com