Postdoctoral Appointee - Scientific Computing
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Argonne, IL
- Job Number: 7108398 (Ref #: 413929)
- Posting Date: Aug 19, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Laboratory for Applied Mathematics, Numerical Software, and Statistics (LANS) in the Mathematics and Computer Science Division (MCS) at Argonne is seeking postdoctoral candidates to develop robust and efficient algebraic solvers, time integrators, numerical optimizers, and related technologies in the open-source PETSc/TAO library targeting exascale supercomputers -- such as the Aurora machine slated to be fielded at Argonne -- and other novel high-performance computing (HPC) architectures.
- Recent or soon-to-be completed PhD (typically within the last 3 years) in computer science, applied mathematics, or another scientific or engineering field with a strong emphasis on computation.
- Effective communication skills, and a mixture of experience and interest in learning some of the following topics:
- Scalable algebraic solvers, time integrators, numerical optimization and related numerical methods, including mixed-precision and batched solvers; familiarity with using the implementations from or implementing new methods inside PETSc/TAO is a plus
- Collaboration with domain scientists using tools such as PETSc/TAO to solve computational science problems at scale
- Maintainable, high-performance programming techniques for CPUs and GPUs
- Distributed memory parallel programming using MPI
- Cutting-edge HPC architectures and the interplay between architecture and algorithmic design decisions
- Collection and analysis of performance data to guide performance optimization or, in some cases, to completely redesign the parallel codes
- Collaborative software development and devops (Git, continuous integration, etc.), particularly using C or C++
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.