Postdoctoral Appointee - Global Chemical and Biological Security
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Job Number: 7108636 (Ref #: 685068)
- Posting Date: Aug 12, 2022
- this could mean alternative work schedules to match international workday schedules and undertake domestic and international travel, including to low-, medium-, and high-risk countries, for periods of up to several weeks. This position is eligible for telecommuting and the selected applicant must live within a reasonable distance for commuting to the assigned work location when necessary. Qualifications We Require: + Doctoral degree in Infectious/Zoonotic disease research, Public Health/Epidemiology, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Engineering, or relevant STEM technical fields. + Experience in technical analysis, and problem solving related to biosafety, biosecurity, and biological risk management. + Ability to obtain and maintain DOE L-level security clearance Qualifications We Desire: + Experience in one or more of the following topics: + Safety and security measures in BSL-2 or higher laboratories (for example, bio-safety/bio-security officer, infection prevention, Industrial Hygienist, etc.) + Advanced qualitative, quantitative, and semi-quantitative risk assessment methodologies for complex projects in the health, veterinary, or biological laboratory sectors (for example, Public Health Analyst, Laboratory Risk Assessor) + Handling and processing infectious materials (storage, handling, waste management) + Basic principles of biological risk management strategies (for example, ISO standards, Biological War Conventions (BWC), WHO Laboratory Biosafety Manual, CEN Workshop Agreements (CWA), WOAH (World Organization for Animal Health, formerly OIE) Terrestrial Manual, etc.) + Analysis of risk and consequence measures in bioeconomy/bio-assurance, one health concepts, dual use research concerns, or gain of functions research. + Ability to develop and utilize remote learning methodologies using Learning Management Systems (LMS), Content Management Systems (CMS), Surveying tools, etc. + Demonstrated team player, self-starter, and leadership skills + Fluent in English, and preferably one foreign language (for example, French, Arabic) skill. About Our Team: The 06825 Department is multidisciplinary and focuses on advancing international threat reduction goals by promoting safe, secure and responsible use of dangerous biological and chemical agents around the globe. As a part of the Global Chemical and Biological Security group, our programs provide specific technical advice to the US Government on issues related to cooperative threat reduction, counter chem/bio-terrorism, the Biological Weapons Convention, the Chemical Weapons Convention, and has projects in the following areas: security system analysis, design and implementation; threat agent risk prioritization; outbreak control and management; information control and management; training in the areas of biosafety, chemical safety, security, risk awareness, disease surveillance and diagnostics, and related topics; and global, regional, and country-specific analysis and assessments. These projects involve both US interests as well as those of various foreign countries and international organizations.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs: + Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide + Extraordinary co-workers + Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world + Career advancement and enrichment opportunities + Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home) + Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance* World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted. Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment. EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law. Position Information: This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment. Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance. Job ID: 685068
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.