Postdoctoral Fellow in Tumor Heterogeneity
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Location: Tampa, FL
- Job Number: 7109744 (Ref #: hlj_39763)
- Posting Date: Sep 5, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
A postdoctoral position is available in the cancer research lab of Tony Amelio located within the Stabile Research Building at the Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute. Moffitt Cancer is a world-class NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, thus providing a strong post-doctoral training opportunity in cancer biology and drug development. Moreover, Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute also has several outstanding T32 postdoctoral training grant opportunities for eligible candidates (e.g. Integrated Program in Cancer and Data Science (ICADS)).
The Amelio Lab applies an interdisciplinary approach that integrates use of bioinformatics, drug and CRISPR screens, novel mouse models, and biologic light-based tools to study tumorigenesis in vitro and in vivo. This position will focus on tumor heterogeneity and drug tolerance and is related to two recent publications by the lab in Cell Reports (Musicant et al) and Oral Oncology (Parag-Sharma et al). Our laboratory is currently funded by grants awarded from the National Institutes of Health.
- Use cutting-edge technologies (novel in vivo bioluminescent imaging technologies and genetically engineered mouse models of cancer) as platforms of discovery.
- Generate new tools and use or innovate new models of cancer to elucidate the mechanisms underlying the contribtuions of tumor heterogeneity to the development of drug tolerance.
- Work within a multidisciplinary team of clinicians and basic scientists on projects highly relevant to human disease.
- Extensive opportunities to develop new skills in molecular and cellular biology, in the development and analysis of animal models and identification and assessment of novel therapeutic approaches .
- Work closely with Dr. Amelio on the postdoctoral fellow’s career development (e.g., grant/manuscript writing, scientific presentations, mentoring graduate students, networking).
- Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
- Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
- You will be encouraged and supported to apply for training grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has good communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively within a team.
- Experience with molecular biology and basic cell culture techniques are highly desirable.
- Candidates with a strong background in the cancer biology, tumor plasticity, tumor microenvironment, mechanisms of drug resistance, mouse models, molecular biology techniques, microscopy and analysis are highly desired.
- The applicant must be comfortable working with laboratory mice, with a few years’ experience of handling mice preferred.
- The applicant must possess good problem-solving and organizational skills, be self-driven and enthusiastic, and should also demonstrate the ability to conduct experiments independently and under supervision.
- Work independently and has a strong desire to develop independent projects.
- Design and execute experiments; analyze and interpret data.
- Regularly present findings to the lab and to the Moffitt community and attend conferences to disseminate research findings in preparation for publication.
- Write manuscripts, postdoctoral fellowships and assist with other funding applications.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Candidates must hold a Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree.
- Should have at least one first-Author publication.
Moffitt Postdocs are provided with Medical (Moffitt covers premium for team member) effective upon start date and eligible for Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. You may be eligible for relocation allowance per policy. Reasons to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city, which has become a hub for ground-breaking research, welcoming individuals from around the globe. This diverse city is engulfed with rich culture, year-round activities for all, beautiful beaches, amazing cuisine and so much more. We strive for work/life balance.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission,
then we have a place for you.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.