Postdoctoral Appointee – Computer Science
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7109844 (Ref #: 414078)
- Posting Date: Sep 7, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and computational science expertise.
ALCF’s performance engineering group is looking for a post-doctoral appointee to perform research and development on a collection of tracers and their uses, in the context of the upcoming exascale platforms, and Aurora in particular. By applying techniques derived from Model Centric Debugging, the candidate will collaborate with application developers and other Argonne Computer Scientists to improve the scope and usefulness of the tracing framework for Heterogeneous computing APIs. The work will take place in a multi-disciplinary environment and will offer opportunities to interact with a wide range of talents from the whole spectrum of HPC research. The successful candidate will be expected to present and publish their work at major symposia and journals.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute into several of the following areas:
- Profiling accelerator usage of HPC applications
- Debugging accelerator usage
- Capturing traces that can be reinjected in simulation frameworks
- Extracting kernels for replay, allowing study and tuning in a sand-box
- Lightweight and transparent monitoring of platform usage
- Recent or soon-to-be-completed PhD in related field (typically completed within the last 0-3 years)
- Comprehensive knowledge in C/C++ programming under Unix/Linux.
- Candidate should have the ability to create, maintain, and support high-quality software.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Comprehensive knowledge of one or more libraries and tools such as OpenCL, CUDA/HIP, ROCm, Level0
- Comprehensive knowledge in System Programming
- Experience related to parallel algorithms, I/O architectures, or performance evaluation and tuning.
- Extensive expertise in multicore systems, threading, and scientific application codes.
- Good written, and communication skills.
- Cover letter (optional); uploaded as a PDF document
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.