Postdoctoral Scientist - Barrett Lab - Human Intestinal Organoid (HIO) & Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7109993 (Ref #: HRC0876822B)
- Posting Date: Sep 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, Robert Barrett, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
We are seeking a Postdoc with an interest in gastrointestinal disorders/inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) to join a funded study to elucidate novel mechanisms underpinning human intestinal fibrosis.
This study will adopt a personalized approach whereby iPSC-derived human intestinal organoids from Crohn’s disease patients will be used to determine how various components such as cytokines and cell-cell interactions each play a role in this process. This study is facilitated through our affiliation with the Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute (IBIRI) which allows for the collection of biospecimens from a well-characterized IBD cohort and our organ-on-chip technology. For more information about this study, please visit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6009013/
To learn more about Dr. Barrett's research, please visit: https://www.cedars-sinai.org/research/labs/barrett.html
Are you a passionate and dedicated research professional?
As a Postdoc in Dr. Barrett's lab, working independently but in close cooperation and consultation with the Principal Investigator (PI) and other Research Scientists, you will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. This position will design and perform experiments on human intestinal organoids derived from iPSC, including the generation and maintenance of iPSC and intestinal organoids. Functional analysis of these intestinal organoids by ICC, qPCR, flow cytometry and western blot will also be required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in the preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the PI.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Participate in laboratory meetings, keeping a lab notebook, performing calculations, tabulating data, summarizing methods and results of related experiments, and general lab maintenance.
- Collaborate efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians, and students.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
Experience and Skills:
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within the area of specialization. Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Previous experience in micro-array and RNA-seq analysis is highly desired.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Scheduling flexibility including evening, weekend, and holiday rotation commitment is required. Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential. Travel may be required.
Working Title:Postdoctoral Scientist - Barrett Lab - Human Intestinal Organoid (HIO) & Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Department:Regenerative Medicine Inst
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.