Postdoc for X-ray studies of Aqueous Environments
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7110022
- Posting Date: Sep 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Division: CH-Chemical Sciences
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Chemical Sciences Division (https://chemistry.lbl.gov/) has an opening for a Postdoc for X-ray studies of Aqueous Environments to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will employ experimental methods to study dynamics and reactions at aqueous environments and liquid/gas interfaces using a novel combination of synchrotron-based (the Advanced Light Source), Ambient Pressure X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (APXPS), Ambient Pressure resonant X-ray inelastic scattering (APRIXS), as well as lab-based infrared spectrometry.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct research using x-ray spectroscopies (x-ray emission and absorption spectroscopy, resonant inelastic x-ray scattering, ambient pressure photoelectron spectroscopy) to reveal dynamics and fast processes in liquid environments.
• Assist in final steps of commissioning a new synchrotron endstation setup.
• Plan and drive research and development projects to advance the scientific program.
• Apply and develop data acquisition and analysis methods.
• Participate in weekly and biweekly meetings and seminars.
• Collaborate and work with interdisciplinary teams of scientists and engineers.
• Publish original research in peer-reviewed journals; contribute to scientific publications; present research through talks and posters at conferences, workshops, and multi-investigator meetings.
• Uphold a culture of safety and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, materials science, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or other related fields.
• Strong background in soft x-ray spectroscopies and chemical dynamics.
• Experience in working with ultra-high vacuum (UHV) systems.
• Ability to work independently.
• Experience working with liquid environments.
• Team-work orientation and motivation to work in a team with people from various backgrounds and research topics effectively.
• Creative and independent problem solver with a track record of tackling research projects from initiation to meaningful conclusions.
• Development background of in-situ UHV equipment.
• Experience with liquid jets, especially colliding jets.
• This is a full-time 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 2 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=238438 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.