RESEA001269 Research Scholar (Postdoctoral Scholar)
- Northern California Institute for Research and Education
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Job Number: 7110206
- Posting Date: Sep 9, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionNorthern California Institute for Research and Education (NCIRE) is the leading nonprofit research institute in the United States devoted to advancing Veterans health research. NCIRE is part of one of the world’s most dedicated and successful Veterans care communities, pioneering new treatments and understandings of military medicine and care.
Along with our partners at the San Francisco VA Medical Center and the University of California, San Francisco, we are working to discover and develop effective, safe, and practical treatments for military injuries and diseases affecting Veterans. Through new technologies, novel scientific insights, and international clinical collaborations, we strive to set a new standard of health care research for Veterans and military personnel.
Are you a scientist looking to make a profound difference? Join a culture of revolutionary research that is looking to eradicate HIV. This position is funded and hired through NCIRE- The Veterans Health Research Institute, which is affiliated with the San Francisco VA Medical Center and the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). These institutions are world leaders in HIV/AIDS research and treatment. The incumbent will be working within the laboratory of renowned HIV expert and UCSF Principal Investigator, Dr. Steven Yukl, on the campus of the San Francisco VA Medical Center via NCIRE.
Dr. Yukl is looking for a post-doctoral fellow/research scholar (Ph.D., M.D., or M.D./Ph.D.) who is interested in making their mark on society by advancing the lives of those living with HIV.
Current antiviral medicines have revolutionized the lives of those with HIV, but there is more to do. Below are listed the essential functions and requirement for this existing research opportunity:
• Assist in maintaining and monitoring all equipment and procedures for quality control
• Review pertinent medical literature
• Design and execute experiments using molecular and cell biology techniques
• Process human biological samples, including isolation of cells from blood and tissues; store and ship samples
• Perform molecular biology procedures, including DNA and RNA isolation, PCR, gel electrophoresis, reverse transcription, ddPCR, next generation sequencing, and possibly others
• Perform cell culture procedures, including culture of primary cells, flow cytometry, single cell analysis methods, and possibly other techniques
• Implement, trouble-shoot, optimize, and develop new assays, making innovative contributions to laboratory procedures
• Assist with training of research methods and approaches to laboratory group
• Maintain detailed written record of work performed
• Perform analysis of experiment results and findings, including data collection, entry, statistical analysis, and graph creation
• Produce written reports detailing results of experiments and analysis of results; draft manuscripts of results for publication
• Present oral and/or poster reports at laboratory, local, and national meetings
• Assist with composition of grant applications
• Adhere to data security requirements
• Perform other duties as assigned
• PhD in biological related science, MD, MD/PhD, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• 2+ years of experience in laboratory research
• Knowledge of principles and practice of cellular and molecular biology
• Working knowledge of safety standards in laboratories
• Excellent organizational skills
• Careful attention to detail; ability to accurately follow experimental protocols
• Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks, and priorities to achieve desired goals.
• Ability to think creatively, solve problems, and meet deadlines
• Ability to work under minimal supervision
• Strong written/oral communication skills
• Computer literacy with full working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and graphing software
• Ability to analyze data and perform statistical analyses.
• Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
The San Francisco Bay Area is globally known as a leader in biomedical research and innovation. This area has an ingrained culture of collaboration and economic and civic vitality. The research environment will include employees from NCIRE, UCSF, and the SFVA, which are all known for supporting and administering cutting edge, outstanding research with HIV.
By joining us, you join not only our mission but scientific movement.
Please directly apply by cutting and pasting the below link into your browser. Any applications submitted through this job website will not be considered. All interested candidates must only apply using the link below to be considered.
Or apply by visiting us at www.ncire.org and apply for RESEA001269 Research Scholar (Postdoctoral Scholar).
Northern California Institute for Research and Education (NCIRE) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Per San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance, Northern California Institute for Research and Education (NCIRE) will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories
• Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.