Solar Photochemistry Postdoc
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7110832 (Ref #: 63840)
- Posting Date: Sep 16, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSolar Photochemistry Postdoc - 96834
Division: CH-Chemical Sciences
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Chemical Sciences Division (https://chemistry.lbl.gov/) has an opening for a Solar Photochemistry Postdoc to join the team.
This position (in the Houle group) will develop detailed coupled reaction-transport stochastic kinetics models for sunlight-driven water oxidation on oxide semiconductor surfaces to generate oxygen, spanning charge carrier generation to chemical reaction timescales Work done to date in this program has revealed the influence of the environment and the importance of rare, stochastic processes in controlling the chemistry. The new studies will build on these findings, focusing on the couplings of excitation, charge flow and interfacial chemical reactions across length scales of nm to many microns, and timescales from fs to sec. The temporally and spatially resolved characteristics of the photo-driven water splitting systems will be used to point to opportunities to improve their efficiency.
What You Will Do:
• Design detailed multiscale reaction-diffusion kinetic models describing the processes of photoabsorber excitations and water oxidation catalysis, and how they are coupled.
• Perform calculations and extract key findings by analysis of the results
• Validate the models using data from experimental measurements in the literature and by collaborators inside and outside of LBNL.
• Work with the fully functional object-oriented simulation codes that are in place, utilizing the methodology and developing new modeling techniques to obtain complete descriptions of nanoscale energy conversion systems. Make recommendations for added code capabilities if required.
• Prepare reports, research papers and presentations, and present results at meetings.
• Adhere to EH&S Safety guidelines.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, materials science or chemical engineering, theory or experiment, with a strong background in kinetics studies of chemical and physical transformations.
• Expertise in physical chemistry of liquid phase and semiconductor interfacial systems relevant to catalysis and in semiconductor photophysics.
• Experience with reaction-diffusion model development, preferably closely coupled to experimental studies.
• Proven ability to conduct independent research with scientific judgment and initiative
• Excellent teamwork, organizational and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to prepare results for oral reports and for publication in archival journals
• Familiarity with the state of the art in (photo)electrochemical systems including experimental methods
• Experience in writing codes for data analysis
• Analysis and visualization skills relevant to complex datasets
For full consideration, please apply by October 19th, 2022.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=239504 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.