- Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute
- Location: Gloucester, MA
- Job Number: 7111471
- Posting Date: Sep 22, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting independent marine research institute that is addressing critical challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment through innovative scientific research and education. Our goal is to become a globally recognized leader in marine genomics and biotechnology, leveraging innovative technologies to address questions related to Oceans and Human Health with three main focus areas (1) Marine Biomedicine & Biotechnology, (2) Ecosystem Function & Health and (3) Fisheries & Aquaculture.
GMGI is looking for a postdoctoral scientist to contribute to our Fisheries Team where we apply advanced molecular techniques to answer applied questions and promote the conservation, management, and sustainability of fisheries resources. In this position, you will use a combination Illumina and Oxford Nanopore sequencing technologies to identify patterns in whole genome DNA methylation to develop a species-specific epigenetic aging tool. In addition, you will use comparative genomics analyses to identify age-correlated conserved methylated DNA regions across fish species to develop a universal fish epigenetic aging tool. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in molecular biology with experience generating and analyzing genomic data sets, particularly related to epigenetics. Experience and understanding of fisheries biology, management, and the stock assessment process is highly desirable.
This position will require strong leadership skills, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams of collaborators from academic, federal, and state fisheries labs. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an innovative and entrepreneurial scientist to work in an exciting start-up environment and to help shape the future of a world-class research institute.
• Lead research projects related to whole genome DNA methylation analysis
• Whole genome bisulfite sequencing library preparation for Illumina sequencing
• Sample preparation and sequencing using Oxford Nanopore platform
• Bioinformatic analysis of sequence data to identify genomic sites with age-correlated DNA methylation
• Utilize comparative genomics/methylomics to identify age-correlated methylation sites that are highly conserved among fish species
• Organize and maintain a tissue sample archive and database
• Analyze data with high proficiency using appropriate bioinformatic and statistical approaches
• Clearly and efficiently communicate project results to a variety of audiences, including project collaborators and the general public
• Lead the publication of results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present research findings at scientific conferences
• Contribute to grant proposals, institutional fund-raising activities and community outreach activities
• PhD in molecular biology, genomics, biology, fisheries science, or a related field
• Experience generating and analyzing Illumina and Oxford Nanopore data
• Experience with standard molecular biology techniques such as DNA/RNA purifications, PCR/qPCR, library preparation
• Experience with DNA methylation sequencing techniques and analysis
• Experience with comparative genomics
• Experience and understanding of fisheries biology, management, and the stock assessment process
• Strong computational skills and experience with standard bioinformatic and statistic software packages for analyzing genomic data
• Proficient with the Linux environment and knowledge in command line interface, writing shell scripts, and applying scripts of commonly used languages for biological data analysis (i.e. Perl, Python, R)
• Strong publication record representing innovative, high-quality research
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills
• Demonstrated record of leadership, integrity, and flexibility
This position will report to the Fisheries Research Scientist.
It's our goal as an employer to provide an enriching and supportive environment for our employees. We are proud to offer a benefit package that includes:
• Health and Dental Insurance
• Medical and Dependent Flex Spending Accounts
• Long Term Disability
• Life Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• 403(b) Retirement Plan
• 10 Paid Holidays
How to apply: Please apply on our webpage gmgi.bamboohr.com/jobs
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) was launched in 2013 in the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. As a not-for-profit whose ambitious mission is to “address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health and the environment through innovative scientific research and education” GMGI is demonstrating that there is vast potential in marine science discovery powered by genomics.
GMGI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and business need.
In addition to researching diversity in our oceans, GMGI is committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and classrooms. We know that having varied backgrounds and experiences stimulates discussion and new ideas. We are committed to taking action on diversity, equity, and inclusion through providing substantial training opportunities to increase our self-awareness as an organization, and building a team of staff and students from uniquely different backgrounds. Please visit our website for more information: www.gmgi.org
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com