Postdoctoral Appointee - Wind Energy and Climate Sciences
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7112380 (Ref #: 414136)
- Posting Date: Sep 27, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We have an exciting opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher position focusing on Wind Energy and Climate Science at the Argonne National Laboratory.
This appointment will be at the Environmental Science Division embedded within our Computer, Environment, and Life Sciences Directorate. The project aims to improve our understanding of factors modulating winds in an offshore wind farm environment, with an ultimate goal of improving their representation in models used for forecasting wind energy. The three-year multi-institutional project titled Observationally driven Resource Assessment with CoupLEd models (ORACLE) is funded by Department of Energy Wind Energy Technology Office.
In this role you can expect to:
- Utilize data collected by variety of polar orbiting and geostationary satellites, and the data collected during the upcoming Eastern Pacific Cloud Aerosol Precipitation Experiment (EPCAPE) field campaign in their research.
- Probe the impact of clouds and precipitation on winds and boundary layer turbulence together with these observational datasets, and output from variety of atmospheric models
- Interact with a wide range of talents from the whole spectrum atmospheric and wind energy scientific community; the work will take place in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Present and publish their work at major symposia and journals.
- Recent or soon-to-be-completed PhD (typically within the last 0-3 years) in atmospheric science or related field
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages (e.g. Python, Matlab) under Unix/Linux environment
- Effective written and communication skills
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Knowledge of algorithms for retrieving cloud and precipitation properties from data collected by ground-based and satellite remote sensing instruments.
- Knowledge of atmospheric large eddy simulation models used for studying cloud and precipitation properties.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.