Research Pathologist - Project Scientist
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7112533 (Ref #: HRC1040768)
- Posting Date: Oct 4, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Research scientists at Cedars-Sinai continually advance a new understanding of diseases, as well as new ideas and technologies for prevention and treatment. This diligence generates a steady stream of news about their ground-breaking achievements and their benefits to healthcare.
Dr. V Krishnan Ramanujan is looking for a Project Scientist to join a dynamic team!
The Project Scientist (Research Pathologist) role for the shared service Bio-bank, works independently and in cooperation with the Principal Investigator to make significant and creative contributions to a research or creative project in any academic discipline. The Project Scientist may be an ongoing member of a research team or may be employed for a limited period of time to contribute high-level skills to a specific research or creative program. Project Scientists are not required to carry out independent research or to develop an independent research reputation and do not have teaching responsibilities. Ordinarily, the Project Scientist title will carry out research or creative programs as well as administration of day-to-day lab operations with supervision by a member of the Professorial Series.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May serve as PI for certain grants as approved by supervising member of the Professorial Series.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May develop, adapt and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Assists in lab experiments.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data
- May lead or train Staff Research Associates and Research Fellows.
- Will assist in day-to-day laboratory activities.
- Appointees on an academic trajectory will be expected to commit a portion of their time to developing an independent range of research.
- Supervises and performs a variety of research projects that are geared towards both the service portfolio and resource building activities within the CS Biobank and Research Pathology (BRP) under the direction of Director, BRP\
- Leads the hospital pathology archival search services to facilitate research projects and facilitates in cohort building for various research groups
- Performs routine research pathology annotation services and develops expertise in both glass slide reading and in digital pathology methods
- Identifies, investigates, and resolves problems related to surgical pathology.
- Participates in accessioning/de-accessioning of surgical specimens in the laboratory information system (LIS).
- Takes leadership role in integrating morphology-based anatomic pathology and molecular pathology methods and to maintain a standard that is in alignment with the developments in the field of research pathology
- Follows best practices guidelines and standards to maintain the state-of-the-art research pathology laboratory and assists the Director in the CAP accreditation process
- Performs and maintains good documentation practices compliant with the institutional, state and federal requirements
PhD Degree is required
3-5 years progressive experience in a research lab setting, with completion of a Post doctoral appointment.
Working Title:Research Pathologist - Project Scientist
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Job Specialty:Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.