Project Scientist - Chen Lab - Lung Institute
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7115098 (Ref #: HRC1064572)
- Posting Date: Oct 31, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research? Take action now by applying to this great opportunity!
Cedars-Sinai offers scientists unparalleled access to ground breaking technologies, facilities, and resources for conducting research related to an impressive range of diseases and disorders, from cancer, cardiology, and digestive diseases, to genetics, genomics, neurosciences, and women's health. You can continue your career journey with us!
The Chen Laboratory is unraveling basic mechanisms of lung injury and repair. Our focus is on how lung epithelial cells interact with other cellular compartments and with the extracellular matrix to regulate inflammatory cell recruitment and lung fibrosis in various cell-based and animal models.
The Project Scientist works independently and in cooperation with the Principal Investigator to make significant and creative contributions to a research or creative project in any academic discipline. The incumbent may be an ongoing member of a research team or may be employed for a limited period of time to contribute high-level skills to a specific research or creative program. Project Scientists are not required to carry out independent research or to develop an independent research reputation and do not have teaching responsibilities. Ordinarily, this position will carry out research or creative programs as well as administration of day-to-day lab operations with supervision by a member of the Professorial Series.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in the preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May serve as PI for certain grants as approved by supervising member.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May develop, adapt and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Assists in lab experiments, analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and compiles data.
- May lead or train Staff Research Associates and Research Fellows.
- Assists in day-to-day laboratory activities.
- Appointees on an academic trajectory will be expected to commit a portion of their time to developing an independent range of research.
- PhD or highest degree in their field.
Experience and Skills:
- Completion of postdoctoral appointment in area of specialization, as applicable.
- Knowledge of PI’s area of research specialization.
- Demonstrated technical competency.
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read scientific papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job duties.
Working Title:Project Scientist - Chen Lab - Lung Institute
Department:Home Dept - Pulmonary
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Job Specialty:Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.