CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Responsible AI
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Sydney, Australia
- Job Number: 7115529 (Ref #: cj_90500)
- Posting Date: Nov 7, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in machine learning, software engineering, or similar?
- Want to conduct world class research and development with a team of dedicated professionals?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
CSIRO’s Data61 is driving the development and adoption of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Australia. The development of AI-based systems introduces new fundamental challenges to conventional software engineering methods and tools. There are challenges across the software engineering lifecycle including requirements, architecture/design, development and reuse, verification and validation, and operational monitoring and evolution of AI-based systems. This position will lead world-class research in Software Engineering for AI, to advance knowledge within these areas.
As part of the software systems research group, the CERC Postdoctoral Fellow will make independent and collaborative contributions to the development of new ideas, empirical studies, collaborative projects, methods, and technologies for responsible AI and SE for AI-based systems.
Your duties will include:
- Making independent and collaborative contributions to the development of knowledge-based approaches for responsible data sharing and analytics and domain-specific AI-based systems.
- Contributing to the market-pull strategy through user research and communicating with multiple stakeholders.
- Liaising with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Under limited direction, assisting in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Addressing problems promptly and in a constructive manner, selecting the most profitable lines of attack upon a problem, preparing detailed design proposals and experimental protocols.
- Undertaking in experimental and/or observational research activities, often requiring the supervision and/or training of others to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design, or as required.
Location: Sydney, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD). The doctorate must be in a relevant discipline area, such as machine learning, software engineering, or similar. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time or equivalent) of relevant research experience.
- Experience in responsible AI projects.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7 December 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com