Earth Science Postdoctoral Scholar
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7116813 (Ref #: 97466)
- Posting Date: Nov 25, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Division: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Climate & Ecosystems Division has an opening for an Earth Science Postdoc, advancing the quantification of bedrock and soil physical properties from local to watershed scale, and the understanding of their impact on the ecosystem functioning, including plant health and survival, ground water storage and export, and downstream water quantity and quality.
You will be associated with Berkeley Lab’s Watershed Function Scientific Focus Area (SFA) project (watershed.lb.gov). This project focuses on developing a predictive understanding of how mountainous watersheds retain and release water, nutrients, carbon, and metals. In particular, the SFA is developing understanding and approaches to measure and predict how droughts, early snowmelt, and other perturbations impact downstream water availability and biogeochemical cycling at episodic to decadal timescales. The project includes field and numerical experiments in a mountainous watershed in the Upper Colorado River Basin.
In this exciting role, you will work on improving the characterization of bedrock and soil properties that critically impact plant functioning, subsurface weathering processes, water storage, and downstream water quantity and quality. You will collaborate within a team to integrate the quantification of subsurface properties with hydro-biogeochemical measurements and remote sensing products for advancing the understanding of the impact of subsurface structure on various hydro-biogeochemical processes, and/or for improving the spatiotemporal resolution and coverage of the developed data products.
What You Will Do:
• Geophysical and hydrological investigations of soil and bedrock physical and hydraulic properties and their impact on above- and below-ground hydro-biogeochemical processes.
• Integrate in-well, ground-based and airborne geophysical measurements with point-scale datasets to improve the quantification of soil and bedrock structure.
• Work collaboratively with a vibrant, large, multi-disciplinary team to integrate diverse datasets for improving the predictive understanding of watershed functioning.
• Participate in the development of a watershed-to-basin scaling construct that can be used to guide data acquisition and Earth systems model parameterization.
• Author peer-reviewed conference or journal papers, contribute to project products, and contribute to grant proposals.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Physics, Environmental Sciences/Engineering, Data Science, Computer Science, or other related technical disciplines.
• Understanding of geophysical techniques, watershed hydrology, landscape evolution and ecosystem processes.
• Demonstrated experience with geophysical field data acquisition, processing and interpretation.
• Understanding and application of data processing techniques such as stochastic and/or deterministic inversion techniques, and statistical methods for data analysis.
• Experience and knowledge in subsurface hydrological processes.
• Experience with remote sensing data analysis.
• Demonstrated record of publications and conference presentations.
• Interest in collaborative research, open science, and developing data products that will be used by a broad community.
Required Application Materials:
• Motivation letter (1 page max), CV and publication list
This position will remain open until filled.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 2 years, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
• Berkeley Lab is located in an environment recognized for offering a high quality of life, having both abundant natural beauty and exciting urban surroundings.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=245459 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit https://covid.lbl.gov/ for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.