The Neuroapoptosis Laboratory in the Department of Neurological Surgery seeks a highly skilled molecular biologist. Functioning independently with strong molecular biology skills, the Postdoctoral Associate will design, organize and conduct highly specialized and advanced neuroscience experiments including developing new protocols in addition to implementing established ones. Duties assigned to this position may involve organizing and implementing complex research plans, developing research methodologies, as well as data collection, analysis, and evaluation. Furthermore, the Postdoctoral Associate will summarize findings and publish results in research journals, submit fellowship applications, contribute to PI grant applications, assume general responsibility for scientific laboratory operations and provide supervision and guidance to junior technicians, students, and researchers. The duties will require independent discretion and judgment in carrying out research activities within the predetermined research scope and methodology.
Qualifications or Expectations:
- A doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in biomedical science/biomechanical engineering with a strong emphasis on molecular biology.
- Ability to fulfill the academic writing requirements for scientific publications.
- Ability to generate new ideas and links and builds upon existing ideas to generate unique concepts and solutions.
- Cover letter detailing molecular biology skills and experience is required as part of the application.
- Demonstrated expertise in molecular biology including cloning, primer design and optimization, sequencing, and gene editing including but not limited to CRISPR technology.
- Demonstrated understanding of the requirements for successful execution of a research project.
- Experience using small rodents in research is preferred but not required.
- Expectation of, and support for, writing independent postdoctoral fellowship applications
- Full access to the U. Pittsburgh Office of Academic Career Development (https://www.oacd.health.pitt.edu/postdocs/programs)
Duties or Responsibilities:
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Assist with ordering of supplies as needed and general lab maintenance, including equipment maintenance.
- Collect, prepare and analyze research data, including periodical pertinent scientific literature search, keep a detailed notebook summarizing experiments, record research data and maintain a computer database of research data.
- Develop short and long term research plans to investigate the research questions in the major project assigned by the PI.
- Format data for presentation and use graphical and statistical software (Graphpad Prism) to analyze and present data and participate/assist in manuscript writing for publication in scientific journals. Assist in grant writing.
- Implement short and long term research plans, including performing and troubleshooting all required experiments.
- Provide short and long term research support, specifically but not exclusively in the area of molecular biology, to the other members of the Neuroapoptosis laboratory team.
- Supervise other personnel in the laboratory to coordinate research efforts for increased efficiency and participate in the training of fellows, residents, students, and interns as needed.
visit join.pitt.edu and View Requisition Number 22009243 to apply