- Baylor College of Medicine
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7121073 (Ref #: 14418-en_US)
- Posting Date: Jan 13, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Postdoctoral Research Fellows. Successful candidates will be recent PhD graduates with high levels of energy and curiosity, and who are interested in making fundamental discoveries in understanding the molecular biology of brain tumours, and in pursuing eventual independent careers in academic research. Research approaches in our group include genomics, cell biology, functional genomics, mouse modeling, developmental biology, stem cell biology, and translational ‘mouse-hospital’ approaches. Projects in the laboratory are all focussed on malignancies of the central nervous system, and many have a direct connection to the clinic or to patient tumours. In particular, we are very interested in understanding recurrent and metastatic cancer, as this is the patient population in which most clinical trials are undertaken. Understanding the molecular basis of metastasis and recurrence after standard therapy could result in rapid clinical translation of novel therapies.
- Conducts functional studies of pediatric brain tumors, both in vitro and in vivo, using and generating mouse models, manipulation of mouse ES cells, study of human brain cancer xenografts, and use of human iPS cells.
- Studies gene function during normal mammalian brain development, and how abnormalities in normal brain development lead to the development of brain cancers.
- Conducts analysis and interpretation of data (whole-genome, whole-exome, ChIP-seq and RNAseq) in light of tumour evolution, with the aim of understanding the underlying dynamics of tumour growth, relapse, metastases and progression.
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience required.
- Prior experience with brain development, and/or cancer cell biology would be an asset.
- Experience with large-scale genomic data would also be advantageous.
- Prior first author publications are highly desirable.
- Must be self-motivated, well-organized, highly independent, and willing to train new students.
- Excellent communication, written and interpersonal skills are mandatory.
- A detailed CV and the names and contact information for at least three references should accompany the application.
- Candidates with external funding or scholarships to help support their salary will be highly recruited.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
PD; CA; CH; SN
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com