Postdoctoral Appointment - AI for Science Architectures
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7127623 (Ref #: 415247)
- Posting Date: Mar 8, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
ALCF’s datascience group seeks a post-doctoral candidate to work on performance modeling and optimization of scientific machine learning applications on GPU and novel AI systems. The successful candidate will develop and optimize scientific machine learning applications on novel architectures and well as work toward the design of future supercomputers to meet the needs of AI applications. The candidate will also have the opportunity to explore these tests and features in novel AI Hardware, such as that hosted at the ALCF AI-Testbed (https://www.alcf.anl.gov/alcf-ai-testbed).The work will take place in a multi-disciplinary environment and will offer opportunities to interact with a wide range of talents from the whole spectrum of HPC research. The successful candidate will be expected to present and publish their work at major symposia and journals.
You can expect to:
- Conduct research and development aligned with Argonne’s strategic missions in computation.
- Conducts work in computational science and leadership computing and promotes findings through publications, presentations, program reports, software dissemination and other means of reporting outcomes.
- Contributes to discovery and technological advances in application science, with emphasis on the applications of exascale (and beyond) computer architectures, e.g., to address data architecture challenges and algorithm implementation challenges of high-performance simulations.
- Strengthen your career path opportunities by applying new techniques, developing independent research capabilities and building professional skills such as communication, networking and leadership.
- Work closely with industry, national lab and universities on the design of current and future systems to meet the AI for science mission
- A recent Ph.D. (typically completed within 3 years) and 0-3 years of experience in computer science, computer engineering, computational science, or a related field
- Experience in GPU and accelerator computing, including reduced precision.
- Experience related to parallel algorithms, I/O architectures, or performance evaluation and tuning
- Extensive expertise in multicore systems, concurrency, and scientific application codes
- Effective written and communication skills
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.