- Baylor College of Medicine
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7127631 (Ref #: 15019-en_US)
- Posting Date: Mar 9, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Interested in driving data science innovation in healthcare? We are looking for junior and senior data scientists to collaborate on data science projects with utility experts. We work on cool projects like health risk assessment, predicting adverse outcomes, signal processing and natural language processing (NLP).
The ideal candidate will have significant experience using Python, and R, R Shiny, and MATLAB in multiple analytical applications, such as nonlinear time series analysis, machine learning (for example, binomial/regression models or ensemble models), deep learning (for example, NN, CNN, and RNN), and probability, statistics, and NLP. As with any successful analytics project, it all starts with the data, so you should have experience extracting and transforming data from relational databases, i.e. SQL Server.
You’ll be a full-time member of our data science team. As a Data Scientist, you will be responsible for finding creative solutions to challenges faced by clinical investigators to solve healthcare challenges through evidence based approach. These solutions will be found by introducing machine learning and other data science concepts and building applications within a scripting language, such as Python, R, etc. You will engage with clinical collaborators to fully understand their clinical questions and process flows to make sure the solution that is provided to them will address the challenges successfully. The ideal candidate has a PhD in computer science, math, engineering, stats, or data science. You should have a proven track record of efficiently conducting and coordinating data analytics projects both independently and collaboratively over at least a two-year period for junior positions or a five-year period for senior positions. Exceptional educational or industry experience can offset any particular requirement. A background in a diverse field that complements data science (such as applied discipline expertise and statistics) is considered an asset.
- Develops dashboards, calculations and reports which may require programming in SQL and the like. Data management in SQL.
- Develops and tunes machine learning models, which may require programming in Python and/or R.
- Prepares comprehensive documented observations, analyses and interpretations of results including technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analyses.
- Translates healthcare challenges into mathematical problems (Requirement and Scope definition).
- Documents the applications that are developed.
- Attends regular progress meetings with clinical collaborators (multiple times a week) face to face or via on-line meeting software. This may include working on-site, pending COVID-19 travel and working restrictions.
- Works with researchers and clinicians to design and implement new NLP components and prepare presentations and publications.
- Develops infrastructure for cleaning and processing data and running experiments to evaluate system performance.
- Performs error analysis and suggesting and implementing improvements.
- Conducts testing, debugging, and hardening complex pipelines of NLP components
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience required.
- Ph.D. in quantitative filed such as computer science or a related field
- Expertise in MATLAB or R or Python or SAS
- Expertise in SQL
- Experience participating in the research process in an academic setting
- Experience applying machine learning to NLP problems
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
PD; CA; CH; SN
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com