Postdoctoral Associate (Biology)
- Amherst College
- Location: Amherst, MA
- Job Number: 7127901
- Posting Date: Mar 13, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Postdoctoral Associate (Biology) position. The Postdoctoral Associate (Biology) is a full-time, two-year term position, starting at $52,000 per year. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Postdoctoral Associate investigates iron homeostasis using the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana in the Jeong Lab at Amherst College. The research project(s) will involve molecular genetics, biochemistry, and cell biology techniques. The Postdoctoral Associate is expected to contribute to all aspects of the lab's research activities, including effectively training and mentoring a diverse group of undergraduate students in the Jeong Lab. The Postdoctoral Associate will also have opportunities to guest lecture and/or co-teach a laboratory section with Professor Jeong.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• Experimental design and planning
• Generating and maintaining transgenic Arabidopsis lines
• Conducting experiments
• Data analysis and troubleshooting
• Writing manuscripts for publications
• Contributing to lab meetings with doctoral-level expertise
Teaching and mentoring a highly diverse group of undergraduate students
• Training undergraduate research students with advanced molecular biology techniques
• Mentoring undergraduate research students with the research projects
• Implementing best practices for inclusion and belonging
• Guest lectures and/or co-teaching an upper level lab with Professor Jeong
• Doctoral degree in molecular biology, or a related discipline by July 1st, 2023
• Doctoral-level knowledge of molecular biology concepts
• Solid experience with routine molecular biology techniques
• Attention to details
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Punctuality and time management skills
• Organizational skills
• Analysis and problem-solving skills
• Commitment to working with a diverse community
• Experience with Arabidopsis thaliana research;
• Experience with supervision of undergraduate research
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here forhttps://www.amherst.edu/offices/human_resources/benefits.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online athttps://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3998117
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com