Computational Postdoc for Solar Fuels Research
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7143701 (Ref #: 98596)
- Posting Date: May 4, 2023
- Salary / Pay Rate: $5,000.00 - $5,996.00 per month
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Division: CH-Chemical Sciences
Join an exciting and innovative team at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s Chemical Sciences Division as a Postdoctoral Fellow for the Liquid Sunlight Alliance (LiSA) DOE Energy Innovation Hub. LiSA is on a mission to design innovative systems to convert CO2 and water into liquid fuels efficiently and selectively using only sunlight as a source of energy, and you can be a part of it! As a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Houle group, you will work collaboratively with experimental and theoretical researchers across LiSA and the external community to focus on stochastic kinetics modeling of catalyst degradation chemistry to identify the fundamental processes leading to efficiency and selectivity loss over time.
Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to work on cutting-edge research with an incredible team at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s Chemical Sciences Division!
What You Will Do:
- Design detailed multiscale reaction-diffusion kinetic models describing the processes of (photo)electrode material dissolution and redeposition during CO2 conversion
- Perform calculations and extract key findings by analysis of the results
- Validate the models using data from experimental measurements in the literature and by collaborators inside and outside of LiSA
- Work with the fully functional object-oriented simulation codes that are in place, utilizing the methodology and developing new modeling techniques to obtain complete descriptions of corroding systems. Make recommendations for added code capabilities if required
- Prepare reports, research papers and presentations, and present results at meetings
- Adhere to EH&S Safety guidelines
What is Required:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, materials science or chemical engineering, theory or experiment, with a strong background in kinetics studies of chemical and physical transformations
- Expertise in physical chemistry of liquid phase and metal or semiconductor interfacial systems relevant to (photo)electrocatalysis
- Experience with reaction-diffusion model development, preferably closely coupled to experimental studies
- Proven ability to conduct independent research with scientific judgment and initiative
- Excellent teamwork and organizational skills, and the ability to collaborate with researchers from diverse backgrounds and disciplines
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to prepare results for oral reports and for publication in archival journals
- Familiarity with the state of the art in (photo)electrochemical energy conversion systems including experimental methods and electrochemical measurement techniques
- Knowledge of programming languages and experience in writing codes for data analysis
- Analysis and visualization skills relevant to complex datasets
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
- This is a full-time 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- The monthly salary range for this position is $5,000.00 - $5,996.00. Postdoctoral positions are paid on a step schedule per union contract and salaries will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates. Each step represents one full year of completed post-Ph.D. postdoctoral and/or related research experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=258520 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com