Postdoctoral Appointee - Development of algorithms and experimental tools for X-ray microscopy
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7144496 (Ref #: 415818)
- Posting Date: May 10, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Advanced Photon Source, in collaboration with Applied Materials Division, is looking for a Postdoctoral Appointee to perform research and development (R&D) in support of the APS Upgrade (APS-U) PtychoProbe feature beamline. The candidate will develop and implement ptychographic and tomographic reconstruction algorithms for imaging of specimens that are thicker than the depth of focus (DOF). The high resolution optics used in the PtychoProbe inherently yield a DOF much smaller than a typical samples. Hence, an approach for imaging these samples that extends the DOF limit and includes multiple scattering is required. The candidate will further support the development of an in situ sample environment for application and testing of the algorithms.
- Conducts research and development aligned with Argonne’s strategic missions in decarbonization of cement manufacturing.
- Develops and implements analysis algorithms for ptychographic and tomographic reconstructions at the PtychoProbe.
- Supports development of an in situ sample environment.
- Promotes findings through publications, presentations, program reports, software dissemination and other means of reporting outcomes.
- Strengthens career path opportunities by applying new technique, developing independent research capabilities and building professional skills such as communication, networking and leadership.
- A Ph.D. + 0-3 years of experience in applied mathematics, physics, computational imaging, or related field.
- Experience in X-ray ptychography or tomography or related techniques.
- Experience in Python or other scientific programming language.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good written, and communication skills.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.