- Baylor College of Medicine
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7146470 (Ref #: 15946-en_US)
- Posting Date: May 23, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
A Postdoctoral Associate position is available in Dr. Xia Gao's laboratory in the Department of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine. We are interested in the interactions of nutrition, metabolism, and the development and treatment of metabolic diseases such as obesity and cancer. The goal is to identify nutritional interventions and metabolic pathways for prevention and treatment of metabolic diseases. We employ untargeted and targeted metabolomic analysis and isotope tracing studies using newly vested in-house Thermo Exploris 480 LC/MS instrument. Along with this powerful analytical tool, we use various in vivo mouse models and in vitro models to define the role of nutritional input and the underlying mechanisms in disease development and control. For instance, we have recently (Nature, 2019) employed metabolomics approaches to show that dietary methionine restriction is an effective and feasible dietary intervention in healthy humans and mice to alter circulating metabolism without overt side effect. Dietary methionine restriction has shown promising in various mouse cancer models alone or in combination with chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
- Plans, directs and conducts specialized and advanced research experiments.
- Evaluates and analyzes data.
- May establish new research protocols and procedures.
- Summarizes research findings and publish results in research journals.
- May be responsible for laboratory operations.
- May supervise research staff.
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience required.
- Prior experience or expertise in analytical chemistry, cell biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, mouse physiology, metabolism, cancer, or diabetes.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com