Postdoctoral Appointee – Visualization and Interpretation of AI for Science
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7146527 (Ref #: 415906)
- Posting Date: May 23, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and computational science expertise.
The ALCF seeks a post-doctoral candidate to work on novel visualization modalities to interpret and explain AI for Science. The Postdoctoral Appointee will develop novel visual analytics, including incorporation of machine learning, to enable scientists better understand AI for science campaigns on ALCF supercomputers. You would have the opportunity to design novel visualization modalities to enable interactive exploration of diverse and large datasets produced by science and systems. The work will take place in a multi-disciplinary environment and will offer opportunities to interact with a wide range of talents from the whole spectrum of HPC research. You will be expected to present and publish you work at major symposia and journals.
You can expect to:
- Conduct research and development aligned with Argonne’s strategic missions in computation
- Conduct work in computational science and leadership computing and promotes findings through publications, presentations, program reports, software dissemination and other means of reporting outcomes
- Contribute to discovery and technological advances in application science, with emphasis on the applications of exascale (and beyond) computer architectures, e.g., to address data interaction challenges and algorithm implementation challenges of high-performance computing science interpretation
- Strengthen your career path opportunities by applying new techniques, developing independent research capabilities and building professional skills such as communication, networking and leadership
- Work closely with industry, national lab and universities on the design of current and future systems to meet the AI for science mission
- A recent Ph.D. (typically completed within 3 years) and 0-3 years of experience in computer science, computer engineering, computational science, or a related field
- Experience in the full life cycle of a data science project, from defining a good problem to deployment
- Experience with applying visualization and data science methods such as machine learning to real-world messy data, especially time series and text data
- Experience related to high-performance computing (HPC)
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.