Postdoctoral Associate- Children's Nutrition
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7146669 (Ref #: 15889-en_US)
- Posting Date: May 24, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Carotenoids and Nutrition Lab in the Children’s Nutrition Research Center focuses on how carotenoids, a class of colorful compounds in fruits and vegetables, are absorbed and metabolized, promote health, and may be utilized as biomarkers of dietary intake. Postdoctoral Associates are trainees working in an apprenticeship mode in preparation for a career as a scientific professional. Postdoc trainees are encouraged to engage in opportunities to advance their professional skills and scientific expertise, publish and present their findings, and develop their own independent line of research. The ideal candidate works effectively on a team and has a zest for organization and accomplishing goals.
Job tasks include recruiting, corresponding, meeting with, and collecting data and specimens from human research volunteers, analyzing biospecimens using analytical chemistry (HPLC) and biochemistry techniques (colorimetric assays, ELISAs), while contributing to a well-functioning translational nutrition research lab under established procedures to assure personal and lab safety. Trainees participate in the established CNRC Postdoctoral Training Program which involves forming a mentoring committee, monthly journal club, semi-annual research presentations, and weekly seminar series.
- Plans, directs and conducts specialized and advanced human research experiments and studies.
- Evaluates and analyzes data.
- Establishes new research protocols and procedures.
- Summarizes research findings and publish results in research journals.
- Responsible for laboratory operations.
- Supervises research staff.
- Participates in the Children’s Nutrition Research Center’s Postdoctoral Training Program (https://www.bcm.edu/research/research-centers/usda-ars-childrens-nutrition-research-center/education/postdoctoral-fellowship-in-childrens-nutrition)
- Attends academic seminars and professional development activities.
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience required.
- Prior research experience in a nutrition or health-related field.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com