Wilkinson Postdoctoral Fellowship in Scientific Computing
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, USA
- Job Number: 7159336 (Ref #: 416173)
- Posting Date: Jul 13, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The J. H. Wilkinson Postdoctoral Fellowship fosters cutting-edge research in applied mathematics and scientific computing. This is one of the most prestigious fellowships at Argonne National Laboratory and is the longest-running such postdoctoral fellowship at the national laboratories.
The fellowship is intended to encourage scientists engaged in trailblazing research in scientific computing and to catalyze long-term research careers in applied mathematics.
Argonne provides a collaborative, open-science environment where scientists from various disciplines are engaged in solving challenging fundamental and practical problems. We value and strive for diversity in backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. At Argonne, one also has access to extreme-scale computing and experimental facilities.
The appointment is for one year and may be renewed for another year. The benefits of the appointment include a highly competitive salary and a generous professional allowance. For additional details, including past recipients, see https://www.anl.gov/mcs/wilkinson.
We are seeking applications from candidates who:
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of methods in applied and computational mathematics or computational statistics
- Have knowledge of the physical sciences and advanced scientific computing
- Have experience and skills in interdisciplinary research involving mathematicians, computer scientists, and discipline scientists
- Have collaborative skills, including the ability to work well with students and scientists at other laboratories and universities.
- Candidates must have received a recent Ph.D. (within the last 0-3 years, and must be completed prior to the beginning of the appointment)
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- The application must include a single PDF consisting of:
- A curriculum vitae (including publications, significant presentations, and links to preprints and software)
- A research proposal for a two-year self-directed research program (this should include a description of how this program builds on the applicant's current research and interests)
During the application process, applicants must also provide contact information for three non-Argonne scientists who will be asked to submit letters of recommendation.
- To receive full consideration, applications and letters must be submitted by December 1, 2023
- Application materials will be reviewed between December 2, 2023 through January 15, 2024
- The selection process is expected to conclude in late winter/early spring of 2024
Job FamilyArgonne Scholar Family
Job ProfileArgonne Scholar
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.