Postdoctoral Appointee - MSD Emerging Materials Group
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, USA
- Job Number: 7161684 (Ref #: 416355)
- Posting Date: Aug 12, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Materials Science Division is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Research Associate to join our Emerging Materials Group. This exciting research project focuses on the study of new quantum materials, with a primary emphasis on superconductors. As a key member of the team, the successful candidate will play a pivotal role in the exploratory synthesis and crystal growth of various material systems. Additionally, the position involves conducting comprehensive characterizations through structural, optical, magnetic, and electrical property measurements.
- Conduct independent research in the field of quantum materials, with a specific focus on superconductors. The primary work involves exploratory synthesis and crystal growth of novel materials.
- Conduct detailed structural, optical, magnetic, and electrical property measurements to analyze and characterize the synthesized materials.
- Collaborate and work closely with an interdisciplinary team of chemists, physicists, and materials scientists to achieve project objectives.
- Analyze and interpret experimental data and contribute to research publications and presentations.
- Stay updated with the latest advancements in the field of quantum materials and superconductors.
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, or a related field, with a strong background in the study of quantum materials or superconductors; received within the last 3 years or upcoming year
- Proven expertise in exploratory synthesis and crystal growth techniques.
- Experience with structural, optical, magnetic, and electrical property characterization methods.
- Demonstrated ability to independently conduct experimental research and analyze complex data.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, interdisciplinary environment.
- A track record of research publications and contributions to the field is desirable.
- Openness to learning and exploring new material systems and techniques.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.