Postdoctoral Fellow Quantum Computing
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7179636 (Ref #: 92350)
- Posting Date: Sep 15, 2023
- Salary / Pay Rate: $6431-$8642
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Division: AM-Applied Mathematics and Computational Research
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Applied Mathematics and Computational Research Division has an opening for a Quantum Computing Postdoctoral Fellow to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will be responsible for research focused on the development of programming models, software tools, error mitigation and partial error correction approaches and/or algorithms that enable DOE relevant science domains to utilize quantum simulation on NISQ quantum computers. You will contribute to the development and/or advancement of open-source software tools, primarily in Python, possibly in C/C++, focused on implementation of optimal algorithms on large numbers of qubits. You will be involved in the design and execution of simulations of physical hardware from testbeds and commercial partners. Involvement in the publication of the research and contributions at conferences is expected.
You will be part of an integrated team of quantum algorithm developers, physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists that will design and deliver novel algorithms, error mitigation and compiling techniques for DOE relevant science domains that will break new ground in modeling dynamical processes physical sciences and will advance machine learning on near-term quantum computing platforms, and provide a foundation for algorithmic development by the broader scientific and engineering scientific community.
What You Will Do:
• As part of the team contribute to the development of efficient algorithms for quantum simulations.
• Contribute to the implementation of algorithms in open-source software tools for quantum computing.
• Contribute to the advancement of software tools developing optimal quantum source code.
• As part of an interdisciplinary team contribute to the design and execution simulations on physical hardware.
• Publish results in peer reviewed journals and conferences.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Excellent presentation skills.
What is Required:
• PhD degree in chemistry, physics, applied mathematics or a relevant field is required.
• Demonstrated experience in quantum computing and related algorithm and software development is required.
• Strong programming skills in Python.
• Ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team contributing to an active intellectual environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Programming skills in C/C++.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• The monthly salary range for this position is $6431-$8642 and is expected to start at $7843 or above. Postdoctoral positions are paid on a step schedule per union contract and salaries will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates. Each step represents one full year of completed post-Ph.D. postdoctoral experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=268014 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Requested Application Materials:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Statement of research experience and interests.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.