Postdoctoral Appointee – High Performance Computing
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, USA
- Job Number: 7185814 (Ref #: 416629)
- Posting Date: Oct 13, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Argonne Leadership Facility (ALCF) in collaboration with Data Science and Learning (DSL) division, is looking for a postdoctoral appointee to perform research and development in high-performance computing techniques for large-scale X-ray image analysis problems in the context of the upcoming exascale platforms (Aurora) and upgraded Advanced Photon Source (APS-U).
In this role you can expect to:
- Perform research and development in various HPC techniques, such as efficient usage of memory hierarchy and communication links (within an accelerator to across accelerators) and heterogeneous computing.
- Collaborate with both computer and computational scientists from different divisions to understand upcoming APS-U imaging problems.
- Conduct research and development aligned with Argonne’s strategic missions in computation.
- Conduct work in HPC, parallel and distributed systems, computational imaging sciences, and leadership computing; and promotes findings through publications, presentations, program reports, software dissemination, and other means of reporting outcomes.
- Contribute to the discovery and technological advances in X-ray imaging sciences via advanced HPC, parallel and distributed systems R&D, with emphasis on the applications of exascale (and beyond) computer architectures.
- Strengthen your career path opportunities by applying new techniques, developing independent research capabilities, and building professional skills such as communication, networking, and leadership.
The high performance computing techniques will be implemented in an X-ray image analysis middleware/toolkit to ease the development of new, efficient, and scalable image processing algorithms with out-of-box HPC capabilities; and the software will be deployed to current and next-generation high-end compute clusters such as ALCF's Polaris, ThetaGPU, and Aurora.
- Recent or soon-to-be completed PhD in related field (typically completed within the last three years) + 0-3 years of experience in computer science/engineering, computational imaging, or related field
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Comprehensive knowledge in HPC, parallel and distributed computing, and systems programming.
- Experience related to performance evaluation and tuning, communication and/or interconnect architectures.
- Extensive expertise in multi-many-core systems, threading, and scientific application codes.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.