Postdoctoral Fellow – Cancer Metabolism
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Location: Tampa, FL
- Job Number: 7187113 (Ref #: hlj_50055)
- Posting Date: Oct 17, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute is proud to be Florida’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center located in Tampa. We strive to be the leader in understanding the complexity of cancer through team science and applying those insights for human benefits. Every Team Member of Moffitt focuses on our lasting commitment to our mission: To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer.
Postdoctoral Fellow – Cancer Metabolism
Research in the DeNicola lab is centered around how metabolic deregulation occurs during tumorigenesis and how mutations that promote the activation of the transcription factor NRF2 control this process. Recent work from our lab has focused on how NRF2 influences tumor initiation and progression (PMID: 37062029), how NRF2 influences the cellular responses to cysteine availability (PMID: 31107239 and 33357455), and how tissues and compartments meet their demand for cysteine (PMID: 36862034, bioRxiv 2022.10.06.511221). We have several exciting projects focused on understanding how tissues and tumors use and acquire cysteine and rewire their metabolism in response to oncogene activation, stress, and metabolic perturbation. We are recruiting a postdoctoral fellow eager to explore these topics with sophisticated animal models, in vivo tracing and mass spec metabolomics technologies, and leverage these resources and technologies to develop their own independent research program.
- Use cutting-edge technologies (e.g., in vivo stable isotope tracing, metabolomics, genetically engineered mouse models of cancer) as platforms of discovery
- Work within a multidisciplinary team (encompassing analytical chemists, tumor biologists, biochemists, and animal experts) with plenty of room to learn new skills
- Work as part of the Lung Cancer Metabolism working group and Lung Cancer Center of Excellence, which provides exposure to both clinical and basic research.
- Work closely with Dr. DeNicola on the postdoctoral fellow’s career development (e.g., grant/manuscript writing, scientific presentations, networking)
- Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
- Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Can work independently and has a strong desire to develop independent projects
- Has excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team
- Experience with mass spec and/or metabolomics data analysis is highly desirable, but not required
- Experience with mouse models of cancer is also highly desirable, but not required
- Work independently and collaboratively for the mission of the lab
- Design and execute experiments; analyze and interpret data
- Regularly present findings to the lab and to the Moffitt community
- Attend conferences to present findings to the scientific community
- Mentor and train graduate and undergraduate students
- Write manuscripts, postdoctoral fellowships and assist with other funding applications
Credentials and Qualifications:
- PhD or MD/PhD in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field.
- Should have at least one first author publication or preprint.
Moffitt Postdocs are provided with Medical (Moffitt covers premium for team member) and eligible for Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. You may be eligible for relocation allowance per policy. Reasons to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city, which has become a hub for ground-breaking research, welcoming individuals from around the globe. This diverse city is engulfed with rich culture, year-round activities for all, beautiful beaches, amazing cuisine and so much more. We strive for work/life balance.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission,
then we have a place for you.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send a single PDF file that includes (1) a cover letter summarizing their research training and accomplishments, scientific interests and career goals, (2) a current CV, and (3) contact information for three references to Dr. Gina DeNicola at [email protected]
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.