Applied Postdoctoral Fellow_Tumor System Biology
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Location: Tampa, FL
- Job Number: 7188329 (Ref #: hlj_50208)
- Posting Date: Oct 25, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The laboratories of Drs. Kenneth Shain, Mehdi Damaghi and Ariosto Silva, at MCC, are seeking highly motivated candidates for postdoctoral training in the field of bioinformatics, computational biology, cancer genomics and evolutionary theory of cancer, to work on a cutting-edge, interdisciplinary, and cross-institutional research, focused on the co-evolution and cancer epigenome, throughout tumor progression, with a particular emphasis on Multiple Myeloma (led by Dr. Shain) and Breast Cancer (led by Dr. Damaghi). Drs. Shain, Damaghi and Silva research focuses on development of multi-omics model of carcinogenesis and evolution of drug resistance in cancer, as well as innovative approaches to delay and/or reverse these dynamics, with the goal of improving patient’s quality of life and survival. The research involves a tight collaboration with the laboratory of Dr. Eugene Koonin at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). The successful candidate will work with basic, translational, and clinical scientists at Moffitt and NCBI, in a synergistic collaboration, and will hold a fellowship at the NIH/NLM/NCBI.
• Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
• Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
• You will be encouraged and supported to apply for training grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
• We are particularly interested in candidates with strong computational skills and background in bioinformatics (e.g., RNA-seq, WES, ATAC-seq, single cell-omics, cytogenetics), who are passionate about understanding biological systems in the light of evolution.
• The ideal candidate should be fluent in programming languages/bioinformatics platforms
(e.g., R, Python, MATLAB, JAVA), working with public databases and tools (e.g., TCGA,
NCBI tools) and be familiar with analytical, numerical, and statistical analysis techniques.
Credentials and Qualifications:
• MD or PhD in relevant field is required
• Should have at least one first Author publication.
Moffitt Postdocs are provided free employee-only Medical and eligible for Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city with unique cultural attractions, low cost of living and a high quality of life. We strive for work/life balance.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission, then we have a place for you.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send a single PDF file that includes a cover letter summarizing their research training and accomplishments, a personal statement of scientific interests and goals, current CV with recent publications, and contact information for three references to Dr. Ariosto Silva: [email protected], Dr. Mehdi Damaghi: [email protected], and Dr. Kenneth Shain: [email protected]
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.