Principal Investigator, Bacteriology (#1787)
- Battelle National Biodefense Institute (BNBI)
- Location: Fort Detrick, MD
- Job Number: 7195449
- Posting Date: Nov 21, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a one-of-a-kind facility dedicated to defending the nation against biological threats. Its work supports DHS and National biodefense preparedness planning, response, emerging threat characterization and bioforensic analyses. It is the first national laboratory created by DHS in response to biodefense gaps identified following the Amerithrax attacks of 2001 and has been operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute (BNBI) since 2006. Since its inception, NBACC and its staff have filled critical shortfalls in our scientific knowledge of biological agents needed to protect the public and defend the Nation from biological threats, whether naturally occurring, accidental, or deliberate and provided federal law enforcement with scientific data to support the investigation and attribution of biocrimes and protection of the US bioeconomy.
NBACC includes two centers: the National Bioforensic Analysis Center (NBFAC), which conducts the technical analyses in support of federal law enforcement investigations, and the National Biological Threat Characterization Center (NBTCC), which conducts experiments and studies to obtain data required for a better understanding of biological vulnerabilities and hazards. Together these centers offer a unique national resource for understanding the risks posed by biological agents and emerging technologies to inform biodefense policy and response planning and the operational capability to support the investigation, prosecution, and prevention of biocrimes and bioterrorism.
Applies expertise in protein and peptide biochemistry in collaboration with a team of scientists in the NBTCC within the NBACC to perform toxinology research that addresses specific questions of national significance in support of biodefense preparedness, response, and recovery. Areas of research include a range of topics related to the physical, biological, and/or pathological properties of toxin agents. Work will be performed in state-of-the-art laboratories. All facilities are fully staffed and equipped with a wide range of technologies required for biodefense and infectious disease research.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Requires a PhD (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline or engineering, and a minimum of 5 years related experience.
• Experience should include: heterologous protein expression and solid phase peptide and protein synthesis, purification, and quantification of proteins and peptides; cell-based toxicity and/or electrophysiological assays;; high performance and/or fast protein liquid chromatography.
• Experience with post-synthesis processing of proteins and peptides is highly desired.
• Experience in LC-MS, mass spectrometry is desired.
• Ability to demonstrate success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity and accountability, while collaborating with others using independent thought.
• Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
• Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
• Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top-secret clearance, suitability for DHS, and a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access.
• Participation in the Immunization Program, Medical Surveillance Program, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) is required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Provides technical and laboratory expertise to conduct research in BSL-2, 3, & 4 laboratories aimed at characterizing toxins and biological agents including but not limited to evaluation of environmental decay, in vitro activity assay, and in vivo toxicity assays.
• Serves as a subject matter expert in the characterization of protein and peptide toxins.
• Adapts to potential changes in project requirements to address national security priorities with flexibility and resiliency. Proactively offers recommendations to modify processes and promote efficiency to achieve mission requirements.
• Ability to troubleshoot challenging technical, experimental, and instrumental issues.
• Works on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
• Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Ability to act independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments, while overseeing and managing the scientific or administrative activities of subordinates and /or technical personnel.
• Advanced knowledge of scientific principles and concepts, with a reputation as an emerging leader in the field, with sustained performance and accomplishments recognized internally and externally through publications, sponsor feedback, and peer input.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• Provides analysis, opinions and interpretation, and issues reports.
• Develops, optimizes and validates new or modified methods and procedures.
• Ensures competence of staff to operate specific equipment or perform tests (may issue Authorizations).
• Maintains and evaluates records of analysis and reviews laboratory results, plans and reports.
• Ensures that equipment, reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
• Directs, prioritizes, schedules, and provides technical expertise to staff to conduct work.
• Must be a team player, communicate clearly, be open to hearing ideas and suggestions from others, diffuse situations, and exercise empathy and patience with colleagues.
• Must have the ability to multi-task, maintain composure under pressure, and utilize effective time management skills to prioritize tasks.
• Must be a self-starter driven by an eagerness to succeed, maintain flexibility, adapt to change in a productive and positive manner, learn new concepts, and utilize critical thinking to resolve complex problems.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.