Postdoctoral Fellow - Olumuyiwa Awoniyi Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7215557 (Ref #: ccf19873949)
- Posting Date: Feb 8, 2024
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Microbe-Host Interactions and Cholestatic Liver Diseases
Overview: The Lerner Research Institute at Cleveland Clinic invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position within the Department of Inflammation and Immunity. This position, under the mentorship of Dr. (Olu)Muyiwa Awoniyi, focuses on the pathophysiology of cholestatic liver diseases and the interplay between gut microbiota and host health. The successful candidate will be engaged in high-impact translational research, contributing to a deeper understanding of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC) and its associated risks.
Research Focus: The selected applicant will join the Awoniyi lab, which is at the forefront of investigating the role of the gut microbiome in PSC and its correlation with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), as well as the predisposition to hepatobiliary and colorectal cancer. Our research strategy integrates patient-derived clinical data with in vitro and in vivo experimental models, aiming to: 1. Explore the therapeutic potential of microbial strains in PSC, aiming to identify bacteria that may mitigate disease symptoms or modify its course. 2. Investigate the microbial driven therapeutic and pathogenic mechanisms of colitis-associated colorectal dysplasia in PSC-IBD models, examining microbial, intestinal mucosa and biliary contributors to disease progression. 3. Assess the effects of fecal microbial transplants from PSC patients on biliary health in germ-free mice, to understand the microbiome's influence on disease development. Requirements: Applicants must have completed a terminal degree (D.V.M., M.D., Ph.D.) in a relevant scientific discipline such as hepatology, biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, or molecular biology. Candidates should have an established track record of research excellence as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications. Proficiency in English and strong communication skills are essential. While prior experience with rodent models of liver disease is advantageous, outstanding candidates without specific experience in this field are also encouraged to apply. Application Submission: Interested candidates should email their curriculum vitae (CV) and contact information for three professional references to Dr. (Olu)Muyiwa Awoniyi at [email protected].
Equal Opportunity Statement: Cleveland Clinic is committed to principles of diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Our campus is a smoke-free and drug-free workplace.
Principal Investigator: Dr. Olumuyiwa Awoniyi, MD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Inflammation & Immunity
Lab Research Topics:
- Microbial Therapeutics Exploration
- Colorectal Dysplasia Mechanisms
- Microbial Transfer Impacts
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
- Cholestatic liver disease models
- For more information about the lab’s research, please visit: https://www.lerner.ccf.org/inflammation-immunity/awoniyi/ or contact Dr. Awoniyi at [email protected].
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Designing and conducting experiments.
- Analyzing data and preparing manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals.
- Disseminating findings via conference presentations and scientific publications.
- Collaborating within multidisciplinary teams to expand the scope of research
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Pursuing extramural funding opportunities, including fellowships.
- Completed a terminal degree (D.V.M., M.D., Ph.D.) in a relevant scientific discipline such as hepatology, biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, or molecular biology.
- Ability to perform work in a stationary position for extended periods
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate and exchange accurate information
- Ability to distinguish color
- Manual dexterity to handle specimens and repair equipment
- Ability to lift and transport equipment or specimens weighing up to 20 pounds
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, bio-hazards, radioactive materials, etc.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
- Three references
- All application materials should be submitted directly via email to name at [email protected].
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Liver disease, Microbiota, Gut-liver-axis, Hepatobiliary research, Murine models, Microbial therapeutics, Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
Minimum hourly: $0.01
Maximum hourly: $333,340.26
The pay range displayed on this job posting reflects the anticipated range for new hires. While the pay range is displayed as an hourly rate, Cleveland Clinic recruiters will clarify whether the compensation is hourly or salary. A successful candidate's actual compensation will be determined after taking factors into consideration such as the candidate's work history, experience, skill set, and education. This is not inclusive of the value of Cleveland Clinic's benefits package, which includes among other benefits, healthcare/dental/vision and retirement.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.